At first I was thinking to not make a blog post today, but I changed my mind.
With the current economic crisis many newspapers are “bleeding”. It is clear that a new businessmodel is needed. The second thing I want to talk about today, is the future of TV.
At the moment that I’m writting this, I’m sitting in the couch, with my laptop, and I can see the TV. The sound is muted, the images destract me. I’ve tought several times :
“I want a mute-button that mutes both sound and imagery”
Then I realized two things :
- There are two such buttons, the stand-by button or the power button
- I would forget to turn the TV back on to watch the programme I’m waiting for at the moment.
So, what do I need?
- I need a TV with a protocol.
- I need another device/machine/my laptop to download TV-shedules, I can then select a program and bind multiple actions to it. “Record to harddrive”, “Turn TV on”, and so on.
- The device/machine/laptop has to be able to do these commands trough the protocol.
I see one problem (but I may be wrong, please correct me if so) : The TV will have to be in Stand-by mode, or you have to be able to trigger the turn on effect in a different way.
Don’t tell me I need digital TV, I don’t want it. It’s bad, and doesn’t do what I want at all. For the people who can read dutch, also read this post on Michel Vuijlsteke’s weblog. If you don’t speak dutch, here’s the google translation for the post.
If I knew a bit more about TV and such, I might open one up to see what I can do with current TV’s , but I’m a bit afraid to do that atm.
(Anyone interested to investigate this topic any further, with me?)
News only in papers isn’t the way to go. That’s clear. What is it then? I don’t know for sure, but there are a few things that bother me.
- I want to read/listen to/watch only the items that I find interesting, and when I want to, I want to have access to background information quickly. On EVERY medium.
- There should however be normal newsbulletins too. But, also, on every medium.
Now you might think “You can’t have video in newspapers”. Indeed, you can’t. That why I would like to use eBook-readers or similar for newspapers. It reduces the printing costs, and gives you access to so much more.
What do you think about my proposals? Good/Bad? Did I miss things? Completely unrealistic? Be sure to tell me!